Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Scary Water

Water can be very scary. I grew up like a fish, swimming early and often (thanks to my dad and older siblings - my mom was never a swimmer), but when I was younger I used to get a little freaked out by deep dark water with big waves. The water breaking off the end of the pier at Pentwater, for example (it didn't help that a kid was washed off by a wave one year and drowned). I guess that's normal, it's the unknown. And the Great Lakes are much murkier than most ocean water so they can be even scarier.
 
But those days are long gone. I've been SCUBA diving and I know the water under there is beautiful and full of interesting things. Besides, nowadays I'm WAY scarier than anything in that lake. I imagine even the largest fish briskly swim for cover when I enter the water, thinking a great hulking land beast has spotted them and is closing for the kill.

No comments: