Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Oral

I went yesterday to Zach’s consultation appointment at the orthodontist. My gosh has that field changed since I had my braces. Gone are the metal bands, everything is transparent and glued on - and his retainer will be internal on the bottom. They don’t pull teeth now except in extreme cases. This is something that was standard practice when I got my braces. Now they just shift your entire landscape back into place. They said this can really change your appearance…I hope not too much as I like Zach’s face the way it is J

 

The office of this guy is way cool too, completely open floorplan where you can see the entire place. Gourmet coffee, treats. Multiple video game stations. He gives out tokens for good brushing habits that can be spent on buying toys. And if you wear the tee shirt they give you to your appointment you get extra tokens. Likewise if you do community service. He buys back Halloween candy for $2 a pound. Oh, and every patient gets a toothbrush the likes of which I have never seen: It’s got Bluetooth technology that times and grades your brushing “experience”.

 

Of course this stuff isn’t free, but adjusted for inflation it looks to be about the same price my braces were and all my orthodontist ever gave me was a sore jaw.