Thursday, January 26, 2012

Spirit of the Past

I took my lovely bride to see Keb’ Mo’ at the Royal Oak Music Theater last week.

 

Let me tell you, that old dude was fantastic. His band sounded great, his songs are as good as you’d expect from someone who has three Grammys under his belt, and the crowd loved him.

 

The really cool thing to me is that he is one of the very few blues guys who made it without watering down his sound. His songs are pure blues, without the influence of pop or country or rock or anything else.

 

We had fantastic seats too, I got online just as they went on sale – 4th row just off-center. Aside from the huge woman sitting next to me who took more than five agonizing minutes to get her coat off, smacking me at least ten times, our perch was perfect.

 

And here’s a known blues truth - when Keb’ Mo’ (Kevin Moore in case you didn’t get the slang) straps on a National Steel guitar and sings old time delta blues, you would swear you were looking at Son House brought back to life. Hell, come to think of it, Son is buried only ten miles away from that theater, in Mount Hazel Cemetery, so maybe…

No comments: