Wednesday, June 15, 2011

All out of game

Ahhh..the good old days. Back in the stone ages when I had more time on my hands, I would sometimes play video games. One of my favorites, because of its irreverence, was Duke Nukem. He always had a witty saying as he jumped into battle, my favorite being "I'm here to kick some ass and chew some bubble gum...and I'm all out of gum!"
 
Well, after many years of very expensive development, a new Duke Nukem game has been released. I'm not going to worry about getting extra time to try it out, as it has been almost universally panned. One we reviewer said:
 
"Ten years in development? My question would be, 'what did they do for the other 9 years and 10 months?'"
 
The firestorm against the game was bad, yes, and from what I can tell deservedly so. But the way the PR team from the software company reacted was outrageous. See the tweet above, which very clearly threatens to deny evaluation copies of future games to reviewers who don't give good reviews to this game.
 
Nice.
 
Of course, they deleted the tweet in short time, but...oops...as Mr Weiner found out, there's no taking it back when it comes to the internet.

No comments: