Wednesday, October 29, 2008

What's In A Name?


I've been agonizing over a new name for my photography business. It's not easy coming up with a name that is not already registered on the web and/or the state, and that doesn't make me sound like a tool.

This is probably why I chose David Wild Photography in the first place. But now that I am registering as an LLC and likely taking on one or more partners, I need a more neutral name.

I've been rifling through lists of do's and don'ts, trying to get that perfect name that nobody has ever used before. I might as well be trying to assemble a jigsaw puzzle by throwing it in the air and hoping it will fall to the floor assembled.

The majority of my recent business has been weddings. So it should at least be "wedding-friendly".

Which kills the following otherwise completely acceptable names: Battle Axe Photography, Ball & Chain Media, Two-Bagger Studios, Clock Stopper, and of course, Kiss The Toad.

But seriously. Despite the blatant violation of "Rule #4: Don't use a committee to name your business" that this represents, please flood me with your suggestions. I have a few good ones which I will list below, along with my thoughts on them. By all means, give me your opinion. You'll have to carry the business card in your wallet or purse until the day I die, so give it a good thinking-about.

Natural Glow Photography - Evokes capturing the customer's natural look, in natural tones. We'll make you look good. Glowingly good. Like a pregnant woman. Of course, brides may feel a bit guilty.

Lightsmith - Like Blacksmith, but with photos.

Wonderlife - Evokes a good life, full of, well, wonder.

Simple Wonders - Simple implies less grief for the busy bride. Wonders is, well, wonderful.

Positive Proof Photography - Uses the photo-buzzword "proof", and also the positive image of the word "positive".

True Essence Photo - Reminds me a little of a scene in Dr. Strangelove, and not a pleasant one. It’s also hard to spell for the average public school grad.

Wild Wonders - Uses my last name

Wild River Photo - Uses my last name, and evokes the outdoors

Wildflowers - Cool name, a little feminine, maybe sounds like we are nature photogs?

Ok, have at it...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

how bout "Wild Eye"

wildman said...

Find a name you like in another state, check the Michigan registry, if its not used here you can go for it. All the good names are taken.
Mark

Anonymous said...

"In your eyes"
"Flawless Photos"
"Forever Memories"
"Let me Shoot you"
"Still You"
"Couple of Memories"
"Your Memories Forever"
"Forever Treasures"
"Looking Back"
"Dreams Captured"
"All Developed" LMAO (for those high school senior pictures)
"Never Forget Photos"

If you pick one of those names I want 5% of all sales.

Bri said...

here's your name...

the proofessor

ps. i'll need 10%

Bri said...

the prints of pics

the prints-able group

cadok

kodagroom

sharbat gula

luminance

dynamic range

decent exposures

ISO, USO, WEALLSO

moritz

ingrid said...

I think you should still use David Wild Photography. The guy who did our wedding had a company name that was some other guy's name. He had no idea who the guy was. The company had been through many metamorphoses before he came to buy the name from what had become a big studio. So long after you're gone, David Wild Photography could live on in infamy.

ingrid said...

Oh, my bro and SIL have been using a photographer whose company is Olive Juice. Maybe that's available in Michigan.

Alisa said...

Lucent

Alisa said...

More:

Spectrum Photography

Tableau

Imagine

Visage

Focal Point Photography

Dave said...

Thanks for all the great ideas! I have looked many many of them up and found them taken eithe rin MI or on the web. I am getting very close to staying with "David Wild Photography", since I already have the domain parked! Thanks!!!